TECHNICAL PRODUCT BULLETIN: B-66
USEPA, OIL PROGRAM CENTER
LISTING DATE: JUNE 08, 2011
(aka, SP 7010)
NAME, BRAND, OR TRADEMARK
Type of Product: Bioremediation Agent (Nutrient Additive)
Shelf life of product unopened is 2 years. If the container has been opened, but uncontaminated and is resealed properly, the shelf life is 1 year after initial opening.
RECOMMENDED APPLICATION PROCEDURE
1. Application Method: Product may be applied to any surface for removal of hydrocarbons. For treatment of large areas, properly diluted product may be applied by spraying with a pressure washer, portable fire pump or any other suitable pump with non-chlorinated fresh water or salt water. Application can also be made with normal spray equipment via a 1” or larger hose and a spray nozzle, similar to a fire nozzle. Inductor setups, water trucks as well as fire or other emergency response equipment may be used. Aircraft application is also effective in covering large areas or contaminated water.
2. Concentration/Application Rate: For in-situ soils, till the REMEDIADE™/water mixture onto the contaminated area. Soil treatment rate guidelines are 1 gallon of concentrate for 30 cubic yards of soil for each 20,000 TPH contamination level. Example: 40,000 TPH level would be 2 gallons per 30 cubic yards. Clay soils may take more product and sandy soils may take less. After the treatment rate is established, apply 1/3rd of the product mixture on the first day, wait 5 to 7 days and apply the second 1/3rd of the product mixture, wait another 5 to 7 days and apply the final 1/3rd of the product mixture. During each of the three applications apply ½ of the product mixture to the affected soil. Till or blade in this application before applying the second ½ of the product mixture. This will help the product get good coverage and disperse well into the soil.
In the event of oil spills on water, treatment guidelines are 1 gallon of concentrate per 30 square foot of surface area. After the treatment rate is established, apply 1/3rd over the area and wait 5 to 7 days and apply the second treatment. Then wait 2 to 5 days and apply the third treatment. Light gravity oils may take more. When spraying the product over oil, good agitation of the contaminant with the product can only help. This helps add to surface contact and aids in the bioremediation process. Salinity of the water will not make a difference in the effectiveness of the product.
3. Conditions for Use: Product must be mixed with non-chlorinated water, but it can be used with fresh, salt or brackish water. Reapplication may be necessary in severely contaminated areas. Be sure to apply the product on three separate days, allowing time in between the days, this helps keep bacteria counts up at a more consistent level through the process. Adding all the product in one treatment will only prove to waste product and slow the effectiveness of the overall remediation process.
TOXICITY AND EFFECTIVENESS
a. Effectiveness: Bioremediation Agent Effectiveness Test (40 CFR 300.900), Federal Register September 15, 1994:
Results of Gravimetric Analysis:
Percentage (%) Decrease in Weight of Oil on Day 28
Product (BET BIOPETRO): 36.0%
The product is a nutrient additive and does not contain microbiological cultures or enzyme additives.
1. Listing of each component of the formulation by chemical name and percentage by weight: CONFIDENTIAL
2. Optimum storage conditions:
Temperature: 40°F to 98°F